Faster Images With Thumbor
Thumbor is an on-the-fly image compression tool which has several really cool tools to speed up your image loading times.
A 26% saving with no visual loss! Source: http://thumbor.org/
What does Thumbor include?
- image compression
- automatic webP transformation for supporting browsers
- unlimited image dimensions, without using additional storage space
- smart detection of important points in the image for better cropping and resizing
- state-of-the-art face and feature detection algorithms for cropping
- image filtering (automatically applying colours or filters, like Instagram)
Performance Foundry has taken this technology and ensured seamless integration with:
- WordPress media library and native admin tools
- WordPress srcset and native image handling in themes and plugins (that follow WordPress coding standards)
- Performance Foundry's content delivery network (CDN) and AWS s3 media servers.
It does all this without manipulating the original image; so that remains untouched!
How do I get Thumbor?
Thumbor is part of our Publisher and Publisher Plus hosting packages, and included in the storage and bandwidth costs there.
If you're on a Foundation package, upgrade to Publisher or Publisher Plus to take advantage of it.
If you're on an e-commerce, custom plan, or self-hosted retainer, ask support to investigate your options.
What do I need to do to get set up?
Our engineers will do all the heavy lifting for you: a standard set-up with image compression, webP support, unlimited dimensions, smart cropping, integration with WordPress srcset, your CDN and s3 media server is all included.
Special features, such as image filters will be quoted at our dev rate, based on the complexity of the work.
Combining Thumbor with on-server image compression and lazy loading or service workers, Performance Foundry can really make your site fly.
We've put together a Thumbor troubleshooting guide here.