Why move to https?
We strongly recommend you upgrade your site to https.
Http stands for "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" and is the protocol that sends data between your browser and the website you're reading. Https is "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure", and is the secure version of this protocol -- instead of being sent as-is, the data is encrypted before making its journey. This is particularly important when sensitive data is being shared, such as on online shopping and bank websites.
So, why move to https?
- Is the future of the internet.
- Protects your site from intruders.
- Keeps your users' data safe.
- Speeds up your site (due to http/2, which is only available for https sites).
- Gives you slightly better SEO.
- Allows many new web platform features to work.
- Is required if you don't want a big "not secure" label on Chrome.
Read more about why we recommend this in our blog post here.